Histology receives evaluation of “Excellent”
The National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS) Accreditation Review Team conducted a site visit at Mayo School of Health Sciences (MSHS) to evaluate the joint RCTC/MSHS Histology Technician program. The Histology Technician program is an Associate degree award at RCTC and students also have the opportunity to earn a Certificate from Mayo Clinic.
As part of the curriculum, students attend general education and foundational science coursework at RCTC before they receive unparalleled experiential and specialty training at Mayo School of Health Sciences. The Accreditation Review Team noted the following:
- Impressed with and appreciative of the equipment in the lab setting – for both student use and clinical use. The Accreditation Review Team specifically mentioned the “state of the art” equipment.
- The obvious departmental support for the education program was noted.
- Student feedback was very strong and supportive of the program.
- The Accreditation Team stated that they have never had a visit where there were no concerns noted.
The National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS) Accreditation Review Team examines three specific metrics. These metrics include the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) certification exam pass rate; the graduation rate averaged over a three year cycle; and the employment/placement rate averaged over a three year cycle. The RCTC/MSHS Histology Technician program metrics are as follows:
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Certification Exam Pass rate is 100%.
- Graduation rate (averaged over a three year cycle) is 100%.
- Employment/Placement rate (averaged over a three year cycle) is 95%.
For further information, contact RCTC Dean of Academic Affairs-Health Sciences, Safawo Gullo at Safawo.Gullo@rctc.edu or 507-280-2816.
For further information about the Histology Technician Program and job opportunities in related fields, contact Michelle Nelsen, the Director of the Histology Technician Program at the Mayo School of Health Sciences at email@example.com or 507-266-4911.